14 Days
10 Doctors
17 Nurses
5 Shots
6 Blood Draws
5 Ultrasounds
1 Incredibly supportive husband
1 healthy and very active baby
14 Rice Krispie Bars Eaten ;-)
We’ve been on quite the journey over the last 14 days but I
am pleased to say that baby and I are both doing well and are receiving the
most excellent care possible. Our journey began in an interesting way. On
Wednesday, February 28th we went to a perinatal clinic, attached to
the hospital, that we had been referred to by my midwife due to some
questionable things that had been noted at my last ultrasound. At the
appointment on the 28th we learned that I have a low-lying bi-lobed
placenta, and a rare and high risk condition known as Vasa Previa. Basically,
what it means is that there is one of baby’s blood vessels that is blocking the
cervix. If the blood vessel were to rupture, due to contractions, more
bleeding, my water breaking or vaginal delivery the baby would lose too much
blood. We got lots of information and were fairly overwhelmed when we left, but
also glad to have some answers. Our biggest takeaways were that Vasa Previa is
very high risk and that should I have any bleeding, contractions, or break my
water, I should go to the hospital immediately as they would need to perform a
C-Section right away. We were scared because the doctor said sometimes they
only have 5-10 minutes, but we were ready to proceed with caution.
And then… I woke up at four in the morning with bleeding. We
rushed to the hospital and were so relieved when they hooked me up to the fetal
monitors and we heard our sweet baby’s heartbeat. The doctor on call at 4:30 in
the morning told us that we’d “bought ourselves a 5-7 day admission”. Later that
day we met with the doctor we’d just met the day before and he agreed that we’d
have to stay until the bleeding stopped. Then we waited…
Comments
Post a Comment